Friday, April 29, 2011

Garden Geek

geek: A person with a devotion to something in a way that places him or her outside the mainstream.

I grew up on a farm and helped in the garden( mostly under duress) as I was growing up.  I learned how to weed and cook and weed and can and weed and harvest.  But I never really  had to figure it out from the beginning.  That's why, when 10 lbs. of Yukon Gold potatoes were delivered to my doorstep, I knew I had to figure out the steps to turning out a bountiful crop of potatoes in the fall.  I remember sitting at the picnic table with my grandma , cut pototoes curing in the sun but beyond that I was clueless.  So I did what any good garden geek would do. I googled " how do you plant potatoes " and found this great set of videos on, you guessed it,You Tube!

     


Traditionally,potatoes are planted on Good Friday but the rain kept us from planting.  Join us Saturday April 30, 10-2.  We will also be planting the rest of the cool weather crops.  You can also check out the great raised bed built with the help of the Scouts from Troop 98 last weekend.  Watch for details of Urban- Garden's open house coming soon!                                                                                                             




No comments:

Post a Comment